Posted: September 11, 2001
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Terrorists
struck the United States Tuesday
morning in harrowing, widespread
attacks that included at least three
commercial jet crashes into
• In the first attack, a plane hit the
north tower of the World Trade
Center in Manhattan shortly before 9
a.m., followed by another plane into
the second tower about 20 minutes
later. Both towers later collapsed.
• About an hour later, a plane crashed into the Pentagon, part of which
• Building hit by debris near the World Trade Center is on verge of
• American Airlines told CNN that it lost two planes, both en route to
Angeles: American Flight 11 from Boston with 81 passengers and 11 crew
aboard was lost. This is believed, but not confirmed, to have been one of
the planes that crashed into the trade center. ... American Flight 77, a
Boeing 757 from Washington Dulles airport to Los Angeles with 58
passengers and six crew is unaccounted for. The jet that crashed into the
Pentagon may have been this one, but that is still unknown.
• United Airlines lost two planes: United Airlines Flight 93 airliner headed
from Newark, New Jersey, to San Francisco, crashed near Somerset,
Pennsylvania -- police said initial reports indicated no survivors. ... United
confirmed the crash of Flight 175 from Boston to Los Angeles with 56
passengers and seven crew aboard. It's possible, but not confirmed, that
this is the second plane that hit the World Trade Center.
• The Pentagon, the White House, the State Department, the Justice
Department, the Capitol, the CIA and all other government buildings in
Washington are evacuated.
• President Bush calls the crashes "apparent terrorist attacks" and "a
national tragedy." Bush is to issue a statement from Barksdale AFB in
• In the first-ever national ground stop of aircraft, all flights nationwide
been stopped at their departure airports.
• International flights had been diverted to Canada; FAA says later,
however, that 22 U.S.-bound international flights would be allowed to land.
• Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef, the Taliban ambassador to Pakistan, said in
reaction to the news of the terror attacks that "we want to tell the American
children that Afghanistan feels your pain and we hope that the courts find
• In New York, more than 10,000 rescue personnel rushed to the scene.
Lower Manhattan is being completely evacuated.
• Israel has evacuated all its missions around the world.
• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta was
evacuated. CDC was preparing bioterrorism teams in case they become
• Philadelphia landmarks were also evacuated.
• In Chicago, the Sears Tower was evacuated; United Nations in New
• The New York Port Authority said it had closed all bridges and tunnels
into the city.
• U.S. stock markets were closed after the New York attacks.
• NATO sent home all non-essential personnel from its Brussels, Belgium,
• The Immigration and Naturalization Service has put the U.S. borders with
Mexico and Canada on highest state of alert.
• Los Angeles International Airport has been evacuated.
• All Disney parks in Orlando, Florida, and Disneyland in Anaheim,
California have been closed.