The wild and wacky Vegas Pokerfest 2004

My Pokerfest comment:

Not only are the Fests I have attended (which would be ALL of them)
the most fun and entertaining events imaginable, what is most striking
is the great people that you have attracted to your events.

Not a creep in a carload, all with the most sincere, dedicated resolve
to make this country great again, and the envy of the world -- again.

Oh, and a special shout-out to Tommy and Tally, our cruise directors,
and inventors of the Tally-tini.


Larry (Poker King) has won both of the big, final tournaments.


Thanks so much for a great weekend!
We had a BLAST, and I can't wait to hear how the show turns out.

Tommy is very excited about the prospect of being able to do the shows
a thousand times faster with the new computer.

I know it will make a huge difference, especially now that he doesn't
have access to the studio system any more.

thanks again!!!

I hope we helped.

tally the weather vixen

My alarm clock went off at 6:30 AM Sat. Morning. I had probably only gotten to sleep about an hour earlier because
I had to work friday night. I was really tired and didnt feel like getting out of bed, but I knew I had to in order to beat
the traffic to Vegas. Made it to the Circus Circus in time to grab an hour or so of sleep before the big tourney.

That was before I found out that It would take a half hour to find the hotel registration desk in the maze that was the Circus.
Then when I saw the 40 people waiting to on line to check in I knew sleep was not going to be an option. I blew off getting
a room and headed over to the Poker area, where I met up with Tommy and Tally, and then the rest of the crew.

Well I got blown out of the first tournament quick but I got a nice consolation prize from Chicago Jim.
It was a statue of a Monkey with a huge mouth. (kind of reminds me of a president we have).

I did better in the second tournament, and my favorite moment was right at the beginning when Roland went all in,
I was watching him and thought he was bluffing so I answered back by going all in as well, a hush fell over the table.

I was putting it all on the line and my heart was racing. If I lost this hand it would be another quick exit from the tourney
and I would have to sit around and watch the rest of it. Turns out I was right and raked in a huge pot, and got to live on.

I was way ahead until I got burned by Larry on another hand where I had a pair in my hand, then on the first 4 cards
that came up on the board were  2 more pair. Now I have 3 pair and hoping for a full house on the last card. Larry was
raising and I was raising back. I didnt get my full house, but I was hoping Larry didnt have it and I was already in deep,
so I threw in to call him but he had the full house.

I lost about half my money on that hand and it was just a matter of time and attrition with the ever increasing blinds until
I was almost broke. I went head to head with Bart on one last hand but he beat me when he had a higher flush then i had.

After the tournament we went back to Jim's room at the Luxor and got to check out the view from way up high in the pyramid,
we had some appetizers and some other treats, then headed over to Quarks at The Hilton where everyone drank and had a good time.

        Tommy was attacked by a Klingon with hooters

We watched some girl hypnotizing people, and making them do strange things. After the party broke up I hung around the Hilton
for a little while longer then around 2 AM decided against driving back to L.A. that night and went out to look for a room. Since I
was just going to crash and head out of town as soon as I woke up I ended up at this cheap joint out near the airport. Little did I
realize that it had no heat or hot water. So after freezing my ass off and not being able to take a shower in the morning I headed home.

Just my luck on the way home, my car starts overheating in the middle of the desert and I have no water. I'm 100 miles out of Vegas
with 170 more to go.  I was stranded on the side of the freeway wondering what I was going to do. I decided to sit on the back of the
car with an empty water bottle and hold out my thumb. Thousands of cars are flying by me but no one is stopping. I thought to myself
"I know Tommy and Tally, and Roland and Deb were also driving back today, maybe one of them will come by and see me and stop.
Yeah right - what are the odds of that happening."

I continued to hold my thumb out for a few minutes then I hear "Hey Rick" I turn around and theres Roland and Deb,
They were driving by and saw me and stopped. Bartcoppers to the rescue, the coolest people in the world.

They gave me some water and I was able to get the car started. Turns out the car wasn't driveable but thanks to my AAA premeir
membership I was able to get it towed all the way back to LA for free. So in the end it was definitely an adventure, but I had a great time.
It was worth it just to get to hang out with all the Pokerfesters again. A great group of people to party with anytime.

LA Rick

Hey Bart,

We had a great time at the Pokerfest in Vegas!
(Note to self:  Must buy that new over-the-counter 'no-hangover' medicine  from Walgreens before next fest)

Here are a few of my highlights:

First of all, let me say that even though I didn't win this time I'm not bitter.  I had a great time and more than
made up for my loss by consuming numerous complimentary 'beverages' provided frequently by the cocktail
waitresses. Bart, on the other hand, was a sober as a nun and was drinking only water. This "no drinking"
poker-playing is a new thing for Bart and while I found it a bit unsettling, even more disturbing was that it
seemed to work since he won the first tourney and came pretty damn close to winning the second as well!

I, on the other hand, came primarily to have fun and was glad to partake in a little afternoon 'taste' or two.
While this enhanced my poker playing 'experience' I'm not sure that it improved my playing any and therefore
I suggest that next time we have a 'drinkers only' game where serious drinkers can play some real poker and
let the tee-totalers play in a smaller, low-stakes, low-limit game.  ; )

Dammit, I came to do some serious drinking and have some fun playing cards and not the other way around!
Beware Bart, I'm onto you now.  In the next game I'll be sipping decaf and mineral water and be playing to win!
I'll save the hard drinking for later!

So Bart won the first tourney and he and Jim and "Lucky Larry-by-the-Sea" battled it out in the 2nd tourney.
Larry took Bart and Jim both out to become the 2nd time high-stakes tourney winner.  Congratulations Bart and Larry!

Jim (from Chicago) brought consolation prizes for the two people who were first out.  His prize awards and the
'losers' remarks were highlights and you'll have to listen to Bartcop radio to hear the hysterical 'concession' speeches from both.

After the fest we all met up at the Hilton's Quark Bar so Larry and Bart could buy us all a round to celebrate.

          Tally the Weather Vixen puts the moves on Quark

A great time was had by all and we pretty much stayed until the bar closed around midnight or so.
My better half and I then decided to do a little real gambling and headed into the Hilton to play some cards.

I spotted a "Let It Ride" table that looked pretty good and plopped down a hundred and started playing.
I was doing so well that my hubby decided to sit down and play as well.  Not long after we sat down a
couple of pretty 'well-oiled' Texans came over to our table to play and have some fun.

If you've ever seen the Seinfeld show where George gets hooked up with the foul-mouthed Texans
("You sons-of-bitches!", "You bastards!") you'll get a pretty good picture of what our table was like
with these characters and their friends stopping by to cheer them on, except that our table's language was,
shall we say, a little more advanced than the cursing on Seinfeld.

Two of the Texans sat down to play.  They were from Austin.  One was a veterinarian and his buddy
was a mortician who joked about taking care of his friend's former patients.  When they first sat down
the vet had to ask everybody at the table where they were from.  There were a couple of quiet guys,
one from Mazatlan and another, wearing a "FDNY" hat, from Elmira, New York.  The Texan kept asking us
what state we were from and we made up a new one every time he asked.  First it was Louisiana, then
Mississippi and then a new one whenever he forgot until we finally settled on Alabama. My husband and
the biggest character in the group, the vet, were hooping and hollering it up as the drinks kept coming.

Every time some of their buddies would stop by our table the vet would try to introduce my husband
as his friend from Alabama until my husband couldn't stand it anymore and cracked up laughing.
He yells at the Texan with his Maine accent, "Come on - do I really sound like I'm from Ala-fucking-bama?!"
(Sidenote:  By this time my hubby's hair had taken on a wild "Kramer-like" appearance and the Texan
started calling him Buckwheat.)

As the drinks were flowing the voices were rising and the language was getting coarser.  When I hit a full boat
for $430 our whole table erupted into a chorus of whoops and high fives.  Shortly after that a young, fresh-faced
pit boss came over to our table and told us that we needed to keep it down and tone down our language.
He informed us that they have rules about language in the casino.  That just goaded them on.
"What?  Don't you have to be 21 to get in here?  Since when is this a fucking family hour?!", Buckwheat asked.
Somehow, this warning just seemed to further fuel the trash talk.

Then the Texan and Buckwheat started betting who would get thrown out first.  Buckwheat wanted to bet $100
on himself and the Texan paused for a minute but declined to take up the bet seeing as Buckwheat had already,
by this time, been warned three times directly to tone it down or leave.  Besides, the Texan said that he'd already
been thrown out the night before and tonight it was Buckwheat's turn.  Finally, an older pit boss came over and
gave them both their final warning - either clean it up or the next time he came over it would be with two security guards.

After the final warning the Texan's and Buckwheat's liquor supply was then cut off and things started to quiet down.
Since Buckwheat couldn't drink anymore he finally started concentrated on playing cards and hit a flush for $300.

The last we saw of the Texan was when he'd headed off to the bathroom.  We still don't know if he couldn't find
his way back or finally got thrown out.  At 3:30am I insisted that we cash in our winnings and walk back to our hotel.
We cashed out with over $900, basically paying for all of our entertainment, plus the pokerfest, plus our hotel and then some.
(See, drinking CAN improve your card playing!)

The next day on the ride back to SoCal we spotted a car broken down on the side of the road.  I'll be damned if it
wasn't Rick from the pokerfest.  We stopped to see if we could help out.  His car had overheated so we gave him
some water we had to see if it would help.  He still couldn't get his car started still but told us not to wait on him
since he had AAA on the way and they would tow him home.  We've since heard from him and he made it home
with no more problems.  (Only a minor water-pump problem.)

All in all, we had a great weekend and can't wait for the next pokerfest, possibly in Foxwoods.
We'll be there with bells on and packing our no-hangover pills!

Thanks again Bart for a great time and congrats!!

Poker Queen and Buckwheat

 Special thanks to Zendaba Jim for helping me co-produce the Vegas Pokerfest,
 and to Tommy and Tally for being co-Masters of Ceremony.

 ...and it's on to Foxwoods in April!

 ...and then to Chicago,
 ...and then to Atlanta,

 ...and then to Tunica,

back to

Privacy Policy
. .